Thursday, May 10, 2007

Remember me?

Of course, I have most likely been forgotten since I have not posted since the start of the school year. So I will have to sum everything up. What a busy year! I would recommend not working at all during the first quarter or so. No joke. This program is intense and time management is probably one of the most critical elements for survival. I have learned so much about such a wide variety of subjects, and the year was full of ups and downs. Personally, I have really enjoyed the group projects, but wow, I'm learning to get by on very little sleep.
 
I am happy to report that I am also awaiting the completion of my background check for my summer internship at the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). I am placed in a regional office in my home state of Texas!  I am very excited about the opportunity to explore the public sector given that my background has been predominantly in the private sector.  I am also pleased that I made some great contacts within the public sector during my internship search.
 
On a completely different topic, I joined my fine IR/PS classmates on the LASO wine tour in Mexico last Sunday.  I speak no Spanish and I study mostly Japan/Asia. This was a great chance to see Mexico and interact with students studying Latin America. The Spanish professor, Victor is great!  At the first winery, we were able to learn a little about the wine-making process (see the equipment, basement for barrel storage, etc...). I also got some good strawberry marmalade. The second winery was award-winning and very generous with the wine samplings. The last one was interesting because I never tasted from a barrel before, and I finally found a sweeter white wine. The sunset over the Pacific Ocean was amazing!
 
Last month, I volunteered at the California State Democratic Party Convention and watched Hillary Clinton deliver a speech live. In about 10 days, I will be watching Al Gore give his famous lecture on global warming. Life inside and outside the classroom is pretty exciting here in San Diego.  Back to work though...only weeks to go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home